zaterdag 15 december 2012

Phoenix Oolong Mi Lan Xiang

This Phoenix Mi Lan Xiang is grown and harvested from 100 year old trees located in the Guangdong province of China on the Phoenix mountain according to Hojo's websites. This tea is his stepping in tea for exploring his wide range of Phoenix dan cong. The leafs look dark with here and there some yellow/greenish spots. The dry smell isn't that distinctive or particular, it smells fine and flowery.





I decided to brew this tea in my small, handthrown Chao Zhou pot that I recently bought. While my experiencing brewing tea with a pot is limited - 90% of the times I use my gaiwan- I still decided to risk the higher chance of ruining the brew because of the sentimental idea of matching the tea with his growing place.
It's also the first time I properly used the handmade teacup I received from George in Taiwan, while it's actually purpose is for drinking matcha - that's my guessing atleast- I thought it would fit well with todays setting. When I added the tea in the burning-hot teapot a herb like aroma filled the air with some chocolately sweetness -never smelled that chocolate again though. Later on I could smell some lychee and sandalwood notes. The smell was complex and kind of absurd, never smelled something like this before. It kind of reminded me of a Scandinavian pine forest with some heath on the side.


The first sip was quite the adventure, would even dare to say this tea was grown in Scandinavia instead of China! The taste is like fresh dill which is used a lot in Scandinavian/Baltic cuisine, could be perfectly matched with some smoked salmon except that I don't like salmon. Also the longan fruit is represent with it's dry, perfumy taste and slight astringency which makes your mouth feel a bit dry after swallowing. At first the flavours were a bit overwhelming which might be due the fact that I rarely brew strong gong fu cha. What surprised me the most about this tea is how persistent it is. I could just keep brewing it forever what I'm still doing right now! The more I brew it the sweeter it becomes.
While it's taste is a bit too 'wild' for me, my tastebuds were shocked and awed by flavor bombardments(though a tad too 1-dimensional) it was still a good experience. For now I think I will stick with my refined, elegant Taiwanese oolongs but maybe when I've become a real man I'll give it another shot!


2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi ! May I ask what parameters did you use ?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Sure! I used all of the sample which would be 4-5g I guess (I never really measure quantities). I didn't dare to use less because some teas tend to die quickly when too little is used.
    The teapot can hold a 100ml and it was filled for 3/4 when the leafs were fully expended. In the beginning I used boiling water but later I noticed the tea became a bit sweeter on slightly lower temperatures. I guess somebody else could get a much better cup of tea from this tea than I.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen