zondag 3 maart 2013

Hojo's Cui Feng cha

At the moment my teacabinet solely exists of teasamples, hence why I only drink tea on sundays until I have a new shipment of tea. Because of this new rule I set up for myself, I do appreciate high quality tea much more and it helps me struggle through the week to be finaly reunited with my beloved tea again. Today's tea is one from Hojo's - one of the few samples I sitll have left- and while it was difficult to gather information about this tea, I did found out it is from a lesser known mountain with aprox. the same height as Li Shan. I like these 'steps in the dark', you never know what you're going to get.
I've been reluctant trying this sample, it never felt as the right time to brew and the fact that I only have 1 sample adds to the anxiety, as David Bowie continues singing : 'We can be heroes, just for one day'. While yesterday my taste seemed to be back to normal - had a cold for a few days- today it seemed it be less sensitive again.... though there is no way back now. The smell of the dry leaves were surprisingly refreshing and citrus like, a bit different than most gao shans.
I couldn't resist using my teapot again instead of the gaiwan, accepting the higher ratio of ruining a brew due lack of skill. I'm not going to describe this tea brew by brew but rather the total impression. The cravings for Spring are becoming stronger and stronger, this tea was able to sooth those feelings a little bit. It felt so brittle, I had to be careful handling this tea. It was crisp, citrusy and refreshing, later on it turned more honey-like. During this session, I needed a lot of inner focus to distinguish the subtile details of this tea.
In my next reviews, I'm planning of using the gaiwan again for making reviews, it feels more objective and truthful compared to using a clay teapot. Perhaps later on, I will add an extra note to some teas to compare the differences between gaiwan/teapot.




 I thoroughly enjoy the contrast between the dark green leafs and the red teapot. Every single time I remove the lid, I'm touched by it's simple beauty.
The leafs of this tea are one of the thickest I've witnessed so far, they are tiny and look juicy.

It seems I've only reached the tip of the iceberg with this tea, it has a lot more of potential but I will need to spend a few more tête à tête's with this tea to find it. It's about time I get a student job somewhere to make that happen...


Note from the author: apologies for this below average review, I feel in lack of inspiration and motivation today - my brain seems to have forgotten all English. While some people say it's better to write nothing than something bad, I feel that making a habit of writing something weekly is something that will bare its fruits eventually, consistency is key. Lately I've started training for powerlifting and the motto there goes: It's better to have a bad training than none. While this review has been a struggle to get through and I almost decided to stop halfway, I did persist and learned a great deal. I hope you readers won't be to harsh on me. Thank you for your patience with this blog and still reading it every week, it gives me great joy and motivation to keep writing.



2 opmerkingen:

  1. "It's better to have a bad training than none."
    As in bad training without proper instruction that put unnecessary strain on body? Hence hurting yourself? Come on man. I do agree with "it's better to write nothing than something bad". But not the crap on bad training.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Bad training as in not reaching the intensity and weights you've hoped to. Good form is always priority.(except when you hit a record)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen