zaterdag 20 april 2013

EoT 2010 Manmai

Is this upside down?
You know these days when you go to sleep, and when you wake up you feel sick and miserable? Well, sometimes I wake up and I feel a craving for sheng puerh. Sometimes Taiwanese oolong isn't sufficient enough in satisfying me.
After storing my shengpu in a new cabinet, with little bowl of destilled water, the humidity has increased to 65%, which made my tea feel so much more alive.

Don't take the statements I make in this blog for truth, my experience with puerh is ridiculous. It seems it already has changed a little bit, the leaves look slightly darker and is compressed thightly. I haven't seen this cake until a week ago, but the flavour profile which I experienced seems to be a lot different than those reviews written 3 years ago. Ofcourse, tasting notes are not a reliable source because they are so different from person to person.

The smell is sweet, lacquered wood with honey. It has a clean flavour profile without too much change or any overpowering notes, making it a nicely balanced tea. The profile mainly consists of soft wooden notes, sweet malt and subtile notes of ripe fruits, finished of with a powerful bitterness. It's consistent in it's infusions and refuses to give up, I'm always amazed how much endurance some sheng has. After a dozen infusion orso (forgive me dear readers, I do not count my steeps), the bitterness did become quite harsh on the throat. Luckily, it quickly vanishes and makes place for a lovely, fruity sweetness.




Because of the high compression - especially not because of my inexperience with breaking cakes into pieces- the leaves were a tad more broken than wished for. This is a tea I would love to drink every day, or atleast when I'm longing for puerh and strong qi (Sometimes I wonder if no other greens are mixed into the cake). I already regret only buying the 250g bing....that says enough.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen